Sunday, February 5, 2012

Weekly Movie Roundup: 1-29-12 to 2-4-12

Boot Camp (2008)
I'm not sure what made me put this movie in my queue to begin with, but it was actually not all that bad. Mila Kunis plays an out-of-control teen who is sent away to one of those rehabilitation boot camps on one of the islands of Fiji. It was first billed on Netflix as a horror film, but in reality is more of a psychological drama, not only about these kids' problems but also about the effectiveness of this "tough love" program that has been set up by a doctor with a shady past. The severity of what happens to the kids is probably overly dramatized, but places like this have and do exist so it does feel very real. Plus, the island setting is very interesting and the movie is actually quite well shot, acted, and edited. Much, much better than I expected.

It's been a couple of days since I watched The Violent Kind and I still don't know what it is exactly that I saw. On the surface, this movie was at times a really good, gory horror film. The blood is beautiful, both the guys and the girls are hot (especially the Megan Fox-wannabe), and the first half of the story is somewhat interesting. But when we get to the climax, everything just all of the sudden stops making sense. What starts out at something about demonic possession or Satan worshippers mixed with zombie-type dead people suddenly turns into something that could be about aliens and/or alien abduction. Whuhhhh? And they don't explain any of it AT ALL. Gah! So annoying. Aside from that, I was still mildly impressed with this movie. The actors are very good, especially the infamous "rockabillies" and they play their parts well, which is more than we usually get with these types of movies. I just wish I knew what the hell was going on! I love the title, too.

Final Destination (2000)
After watching the disappointment that was Final Destination 5, I wanted to get reacquainted with the one that started it all because I hadn't seen it in a while. I still believe that Final Destination 2 is the best of the series (I freaking love that pile-up sequence, I'm tellin' you!) but this one is just as good. One thing I never really liked about it though was Kerr Smith's character Carter. He's so annoyingly angry at Alex (Devon Sawa) throughout the whole movie, and his unmotivated outbursts get irritating after a while. However, FD was a great jumping off point for a series of movies that was so much different than any horror film at the time. It's such a great concept. There's a freak-inducing plane crash, excellent death scenes, and Tony Todd. It's almost a perfect movie.

1 comment:

  1. I liked Boot Camp, which was very surprising to me for some reason! :P

    ReplyDelete